March 19, 2014
What are the 5 Reasons People Complain?
What's wrong with complaining?
Isn't it healthy to get out frustrations through complaining?
How do I get myself and others to stop complaining?
Find the answers to these questions and more in this engaging, informative and often hilarious speech by Will Bowen, internationally bestselling author and Founder of A Complaint Free World.
Here are a few highlights:
- "People only complain for one of 5 reasons, and the acronym to remember the 5 reasons is G.R.I.P.E. The "G" stands for "Get attention..."
- "No one every complained their way to health, happiness or success."
- "Complaining is like bad breath, you notice it when it comes out of someone else's mouth, but not when it comes out of your own!"
- "You have never complained anyone, including yourself, into positive change."
- "If it were true that people need to complain to release their stress, then the biggest complainers would also be the happiest people."
- "If you have a chronic complainer in your life, simply begin to ask, 'What's going well with...(whatever s/he was complaining about.) Just keep asking, 'What's going well?' and they will either begin to speak positively to you or they will ignore you. Either way, you win."
- "The way you use the words, "of course" are the best indicator of whether you are a positive or a negative person